A new year brings new years resolutions. If part of your news year’s resolutions includes staying healthy and losing weight, we strongly recommend consulting your doctor before starting any diet and exercise program. Your doctor may be able to help give you a diet and exercise specifically catered to you. LSMC would like to share some tips to help you reach your goals while minimizing your risk of injury.
Here are some general tips that can help you stay healthy permanently:
- Stay away from fad diets and crash diets. While they may give you quick results, you’ll only gain all the weight back as soon as you stop.
- Drink plenty of water. Limit sugary drinks such as soda and alcohol, which can contribute unwanted calories and inches to your waistline.
- Eat vegetables to help you feel full. Eat a well balanced diet…don’t focus too much on eating carbohydrates.
- Don’t skip meals. Skipping a meal can make you crave junk food and you may end up getting full on something unhealthy because you had a big appetite.
- Get tempting foods out of your home. When you want a snack, reach for a piece of fruit instead of a bag of chips.
- Keeping a food journal can also help you stay on track.
- If you aren’t already, begin taking a multivitamin.
- Losing weight requires some moderate exercise daily. Try to get 20 – 45 minutes of cardio per day.
- It is important to pace yourself. Too much too soon may cause injury.
- Slowly increase your exercise regimen or intensity level once you feel ready. The important thing that matters is that you are making an effort to exercise and keep moving.
- Always stretch before exercising. Allow for a cool down period after you have finished exercising.
We at LSMC hope that these tips help lead to a new you! Remember, if you should get hurt or feel any discomfort while exercising, call us at LSMC. We’ll help you get back in the game.